Thursday 11 June 2009

I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne


'I lived through the Dutroux affair from the inside, and all these years I have kept silent about it - about my 'personal' Dutroux Affair, my time in the company of the most hated psychopath in Belgium. I need to write this book for three reasons: so that people stop giving me strange looks and treating me like a curiosity; so that no one ever asks me any more questions ever again; and so that the judicial system never again frees a pedophile for 'good behavior'.' 'The Dutroux Affair' shook the whole of Europe. In the middle of the immense machinery of investigation and justice there was Sabine Dardenne herself, Dutroux's last victim. She was held captive for eighty days - and survived. Far from sensationalizing the horror, her story, dignified and restrained, is ultimately uplifting. Says Sabine Dardenne, 'I choose to live'.

The book itself is not enjoyable due to the nature of it. At times I forgot that this was a real life account, so unbelievable and awful were the things Sabine and the other girls endured. However, despite the nature of it I found it hard to put down. It was captivating and I was constantly amazed how a 12 year old girl survived such a traumatic event.

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find my blog?